Dream Big Dreams

    I really appreciated the first video that we watched in our class this week. In this video, a man shares an experience of going to a conference where his business was placed in the top 100. He went to this conference expecting to be somewhere in the 70's of the nation. It was to his surprise that he ranked number 11 in the nation. He taught us to never overestimate or underestimate ourselves. 

    I'm sure that running a business doesn't always start the same way for all of us, but it's important to never underestimate yourself. It reminds me of one of my greatest physical personal achievements. My senior year of high school I was trying to make it to state on the swim team in the 100 Breaststroke. I had barely made it the year before, and didn't perform very well, so I was really determined this year. My very first meet I ended up qualifying for state! I was so excited! But with each meet that came and went, I realized I had hit a plateau. I kept getting the same time even when I was practicing so hard. I approached my coach about this concern that I had as state got close. His advice was that I needed to believe in myself. I thought that it was dumb, but as I talked with other people about it, they reaffirmed what my coach had said. So, I tried it out. Now, most people when they go to state, they drop a second off of their time, which is huge. But for me, I ended up dropping 4 seconds off of my time! I was so happy with myself, and incredibly surprised! 

    I think that the same applies to businesses. We can be doing a lot of really good things that we overlook and hardly realize until we look from the outside in. We have this opportunity to grow our businesses, and it's possible to overestimate ourselves, but I would assume that more often than not, we underestimate ourselves. Use this belief in yourself to achieve greater things than you thought possible- that's the message that I got from this week's study. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Secrets

Girls vs. Boys

Light and Truth