Girls vs. Boys

    Boys and girls aren’t the same. I hope that’s not news to you! And, I have a pretty strong opinion that they shouldn’t be the same, either. I don’t think this as some sort of misogynist that wants to control women; far from it. Right now, and for a long time, we have been trying to make women the same as men, girls the same as boys. Why? You might feel like the differences between boys and girls are what segregate and discriminate. But, I want to show you that these differences absolutely should not have those effects. So, let’s talk about these differences. 

    First, boys are usually into “things”. As babies, they are more attracted to toys. They have more spatial awareness and interest. On top of that, they’re a lot more active; always bouncing off the walls, with a desire to do as much as they can. When it comes to play time, they're a lot more aggressive and competitive. They have a tendency to break stuff. Also, rash decisions are made because of a more myopic view. Boys' brains work in compartmentalization. When asked to give directions, boys use their spatial thinking to identify how to get to a location. It’s a lot different from the qualities of a girl. 

    Girls are usually into relationships. As babies, they are more attracted to faces. As they grow up a little more, girls have more of a desire to be verbal and to communicate. When it comes to play time, they are gentle and cooperative. Girls have a tendency to make stuff. Girls have an ability to see “further down the road” from a wider angle, and make more informed decisions. Girls' brains work by connecting everything together. When asked to give directions, girls use landmarks and objects to tell you how to get to a location. So, what are the benefits of these differences? 

    Typically, because of the traits that boys have, like being into “things”, this naturally draws them to working. Because of their desire to be active, they are able to accomplish tasks throughout the day that make them productive, therefore being able to provide. Talking about the ability to compartmentalize, I have found that I am able to focus on one thing at a time, and I’m efficient at getting it done. Whereas, if I try to do two things at once, it takes me longer to accomplish those two things, as opposed to if I had done those two things separately. Now, let’s take a look at the benefits of girls’ traits. 

    Because of their ability to communicate well, girls are naturally drawn to taking important roles in politics, therapy, obstetrics, and most importantly, motherhood. I have found that the emotional capacity and ability to be gentle has a profound and lasting influence on the development of all human beings. Personally, I am grateful for a mom who could be so involved in my life. It led to me receiving the attention and love I needed. And as an additional note, while I think it’s incredible that women have the opportunities to work in whatever field they want now, I believe the most influential and meaningful work they will ever do will be as a mother. So the question is, are these traits that boys and girls have man-made constructs that segregate and discriminate?

    I emphatically answer with a resounding “no”. I don’t care what anyone tells me, these traits are innate. Obviously, this doesn’t apply to every boy and every girl, but that’s what makes life so beautiful. I’m tired of looking at differences as a bad thing. If we were all the same, then how could we appreciate anything in life? I have a profound appreciation for all the women in my life who show me examples of hard work and compassion. And, I am empowered when I think of all the men in my life who showed me how to be strong and how to treat women with respect. It’s this mutual respect for the strength we each differently have that unify us. Unity is not synonymous with being the same. It is the definition of infusing the differences to make up a glorious whole. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Secrets

Light and Truth