Overcoming Challenges

    This week as we studied what it meant to overcome challenges, I realized how much I admire those that have come before me. We read about pioneers and their perseverance in building the Salt Lake Temple. Not only did they have to do all of the groundwork for the temple, then bury it due to threats, but to re-dig, begin the foundation, and haul slabs of heavy stone to build the temple. Through all of the hardships I imagine that they wondered if it was worth it at all. Yet, they continued to build in the faith that this was a commandment from God and that they would enjoy the blessings that came from the ordinances in the temple. 

    If I were to relate this to the upcoming challenges that I will undoubtedly face in my entrepreneurial journey, I'm trying to imagine what those challenges might be. I can foresee logistical issues popping up. I might be pretty naive, like most people that want to start a business, but I recognize that there has so be a commitment to jump in with both feet and experience all that will come my way. Ultimately, I know that there will be things coming that an experienced entrepreneur could warn me about, or that I feel stupid for not foreseeing, but I'm excited for those opportunities to grow. I'm not totally sure how my friends, family, and spouse could help. However, Acton Hero David Carrington mentioned that a really good entrepreneur won't just solve a problem, going from solution to problem (rather than problem to solution), but they will take random information from other sources and integrate it into a solution. So, I think that the way my family, friends, and spouse could help is by providing me with insight that they believe can help, and I can adapt my solution to the advice I am given. I don't believe in coincidences, so I will trust that the advice and circumstances that they share with me will be the answer that I need, and then, I need to act. Acting after pondering is extremely important in the growth process. 

    While I did the study this week, it reminded me of a story that my grandpa told to all of his children and grandchildren. His father, my great grandfather, went from a farmer to a plumber in a move that would stretch him. He was raising 6 children at the time, so to change what he was doing when money was so tight and critical was a dangerous move that required a lot of effort. I remember my grandpa getting choked up as he relayed back to us his memory of his father working hard for his children. It was a tender moment for me when he looked at us and told us all, "That is the heritage that you all come from. Remember that you all have that same spirit of hard work in your blood." It is motivating to me to think of my ancestors, including those I'm not related to, and to think of the beautiful hard work that they put in. There is something powerful about working yourself to the point of exhaustion, and continuing to persevere that strengthens the soul. I will try to remember that when new and difficult challenges come my way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Secrets

Girls vs. Boys

Light and Truth