Measuring the Cost

    This week’s topic is something that I have thought a lot about, and still don’t feel like I have THE answers, even when I’m about to give you my best answers. We were given a lot of study material, as well as two mini cases that made us think about what we would do under conflicting circumstances. “Measuring the cost” means to determine what you would do in a situation where you had to choose between your business/career and your family. I like to think that we all initially would say family, and then when put in that situation, we would justify our decision not to choose family by using family as a crutch for our excuse.

    For example, imagine you have told your daughter for weeks that you would be to her first dance recital and wouldn’t miss it for the world. But then, an hour before the recital, you get a call from your biggest client demanding that she needs you immediately for a problem that only you can solve. She brings in more than half of your sales. If you don’t address her concern, she will discontinue her business with you. I can think of a lot of people who would justify sacrificing the recital to ensure they maintain their business by saying, “if I lose this client, I won’t be able to provide for my family.”

    This is a difficult dilemma, for sure. I will share 10 principles for helping maintain a healthy work-life balance: set clear boundaries; prioritize tasks; create a dedicated work space; schedule personal time; learn to say no; practice self care; use technology wisely; seek support; regularly reevaluate efforts; and disconnect regularly. I think the most important thing a person could do is to set clear boundaries, and then to stick to them when the conflicting dilemma arises. I personally will put my family above my business/career. The biggest thing that people regret, or will say on their deathbed, is that they wish they spent more time with their family. In the end and in the ideal situation, your family will last longer than your career. And when my children are growing up, I don’t ever want them to ask me if my work is more important than them. I want to be able to look back on my life and feel accomplished that I chose them over my own aspirations and gave them the best life I could.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Girls vs. Boys

Light and Truth

5 Secrets